The Curt Ehrenstrom Scholars Fraternity is an enrichment society designed to elevate the academic and cultural experience of our most gifted and inspired Men of Carmel.
Membership is reserved for a small number of our highest achieving students. The fraternity is designed to recognize exceptional academic achievement, offer opportunities for scholastic and cultural enrichment, encourage advancement of ingenuity and expertise, and acknowledge elite students for their accomplishments. The Curt Ehrenstrom Scholars Fraternity prepares Mount Carmel students of the highest caliber for acceptance to the most prestigious universities in the world.
The Fraternity is named in memory of beloved teacher, coach, and Mount Carmel Alumnus, Mr. Curt Ehrenstrom ‘79, who died on May 12, 2014.
“Coach E” as he was more commonly known, was awarded the Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2013. For more than 30 years he served as a passionate coach, educator, and mentor at Mount Carmel, including teaching Honors level classes such as AP Physics.
- Must maintain enrollment in at least 5 honors or AP classes each trimester.
- Must receive a B+ or higher in each class. Must have received a minimum ACT score of 28 (including super score) by the end of Junior year.
- Must complete a total of 6 AP classes with a composite AP test average of 3 or above by graduation.
- Must actively participate in 2 extra-curricular activities per year (1 must be non-athletic).
- Prior to the start of Junior year, member will be paired with and must mentor a high achieving incoming freshmen for the remainder of the member’s time at Mount Carmel.
- Must tutor at one of our feeder catholic elementary schools.
- Must meet with Fraternity Moderator on a regular basis to discuss the member’s MC career, fraternal obligations, and college plans.
- Members who fail to meet the above requirements will be removed from the program.
- They will be readmitted once they meet they fulfill the obligations.
- Members only field trips (museums, Fermi lab, symphony, opera, board of trade, architectural tours, canoe rides, government institutions, corporations, colleges, restaurants, sporting events)
- Members only guest speakers on and off campus (experts in various fields, college info, motivational speakers)
- Sit in front and be honored at commencement, diploma and transcript
- Receive letters of recommendation from the President, Principal, and Fraternity Moderator.
- Financial assistance for AP test registration
- Free tickets to MC sporting events
- U. of Chicago Bridge program exclusive for members
- Free parking at MC
Mr. Tom Eisenbraun
Director of Guidance; College Counselor; NHS Moderator; Scholastic Bowl; Social Studies; Baseball
ext. 231 email@example.com