Stand up Comedy - June 12-15, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Stand up comedy and improvisational comedy directly address our human tendencies and frailties.Those that lack self-esteem or the courage to speak in front of (or to) people are paralyzed with fear when they eventually need to master this essential personal skill.
The central tenet of a stand-up and improvisational comedy is to establish a safe environment where people can build trust in taking verbal and non-verbal risks with other people in the same situation. This repetitive exercise, easily achieved in a weekly class of about 12 hours, leads to positive self-confidence and heightened self-esteem... something every one of our students should experience before leaving for the world and that every young man entering Mount Carmel could benefit.
A happy confident young man is one who stays and becomes an asset at MC (and they can learn how to be funny).
Architecture Camp - June 12-15, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
What better way to learn about the basics of engineering and architecture than by studying the beautiful skyscrapers in our own city of Chicago? In the Chicago Architecture camp, students will learn about the history of some of the most famous buildings in the Windy City. Students will be introduced to computer programs that will allow them to create a basic blueprint of a building that they will create. They will then use that blueprint to construct a physical model and present their work to an actual architect. The program will culminate with a field trip to downtown Chicago where students will get to see first hand the beauty of the buildings that make up Chicago!
Greek and Roman Mythology - June 19-22, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
This course focuses on the myths and legends of ancient Greece and Rome.
These ancient stories of gods, goddesses, Titans and heroes have helped
humans make sense of themselves and their world for millennia. Students
will explore the universality and social significance of these myths by
reading selections in translation of ancient poets including Homer,
Hesiod, Ovid and Vergil.
Chicago History - June 19-22, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Let's go back to a time, not too long ago, when brother fought brother, when brother imprisoned brother. A time when atrocities were committed in the name of good. A time when corruption in a city was a way of life. Experience Chicago like you have never experienced it before through the city's history during the 19th century.
Baseball Camp - June 12-15, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Coach Brian Hurry and his staff present a four day camp for grammar school boys of any age, including incoming MC freshmen. Campers work in groups according to age and ability. Coach Hurry’s belief that fundamentals are the key to success in baseball is emphasized through drills and instruction. A round robin tournament is played to conclude the four days of training.
- Campers are encouraged to dress in baseball gear and spikes, but shorts and a t-shirt are acceptable as well.
- Camp T-shirts will be distributed.
- A concession stand will be open to buy snacks and beverages.
- Baseball camp runs Monday thru Thursday, 9:00AM to 12:00 Noon.
Swimming Camp - June 12-15, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
The Mount Carmel Swimming staff invites students to attend swimming camp!
Football Camp - June 19-22, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Coach Frank Lenti, Illinois’ winningest high school football coach, and his heralded varsity staff, offer four days of conditioning, drills, and position coaching in this non-contact gridiron clinic. Boys in 5th grade through 8th grade graduates are encouraged to explore and learn about the sport of football from the staff that’s coached eleven State Championship teams.
- Campers should dress for the weather: shorts and t-shirts if it’s warm, sweats if the weather’s cool.
- Wear non-metal football spikes if you have them, but gym shoes are fine.
- Bring a water bottle or sports energy drink to stay hydrated throughout this rigorous camp.
- Beverages and snacks will also be available for purchase at our Caravan Concession Stand.
- A camp T-shirt will be given to all attendees.
- Camp hours are 9:00AM to 12:00 Noon, Monday thru Thursday.
Basketball Camp - June 26-29, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Coach Phil Segroves has put together 4 days of basketball fundamentals and lots of fun for grammar school boys of any age, through incoming MC freshmen. Practice your skills, then put them to use in a team tournament.
- Teams are determined by age group and skill level.
- Wear shorts, T-shirt, and gym shoes.
- Do not bring your own basketball.
- Each camper will be given a camp shirt.
- Camp hours are 9:00AM to 12:00PM, Monday thru Thursday.
Soccer Camp - June 26-29, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Coach Tony Godinez’ Soccer Program is becoming a force to be reckoned with in the Chicago area. He invites grammar school boys of any age, including incoming MC Freshmen, to learn the basics, or continue to develop as a skilled soccer player.
- Campers should wear soccer shoes, if available, or gym shoes, shorts and a T-shirt.
- A camp shirt will be given to all who participate.
- Camp runs Monday thru Thursday, 9:00AM to 12:00 Noon
Rugby Camp - June 26-29, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
With a combined 150+ years of rugby experience, the Mount Carmel Rugby coaching staff invite boys from 1st - 7th grade, and incoming Mount Carmel freshmen to develop the skills and values necessary to play the fastest growing team sport in America: rugby! Through a non-contact form of rugby, called Rookie Rugby, we’ll introduce drills and games that are used by rugby clubs of all levels. At the conclusion of the camp, participants will get to watch a live 7’s exhibition match put on by a local men’s rugby club.
Most of the camp will be taking place outdoors, so campers should dress for the weather.
Football/soccer cleats are recommended, but not required: gym shoes are fine.
Each camper should bring a water bottle every day.
The camp runs Monday thru Thursday, 9am to 12 noon
Wrestling Camp - July 10-13, 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
College wrestling star Alexander Tsirtsis has put together an exciting camp for grammar school boys who want to hone their wrestling skills, while learning from the best. Under Coach Kading’s leadership, Mount Carmel was able to send 6 wrestlers to the Illinois State Championships last February.
- Our celebrated Alumni Gym is home to the Mount Carmel wrestling program, and is the site for this exciting 4-day camp.
- Campers will receive a T-shirt to commemorate their camp experience.
- Camp hours are 9:00AM to 12:00 Noon, Monday thru Thursday.
Lacrosse Camp - July 10-13, 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
The Mount Carmel Lacrosse team and coaching staff will host a camp for incoming Mount Carmel freshmen and grammar school boys on Carey Field.
Golf Camp - July 17-20, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
The Mount Carmel Golf team and coaching staff will host a camp for incoming Mount Carmel freshmen and grammar school boys on July 25-28 at Lincoln Oaks Golf Course. Transportation will not be available to the offsite camp.