Mount Carmel High School’s progress over the last century has been made possible by the generosity and support of our alumni and friends. The contributions of this Mount Carmel family allow us to develop young men of character who love God, love life, and love learning. Their commitment to excellence help us continue our mission of providing an education to young men of different academic abilities while instilling spiritual, intellectual, social, cultural, moral, and physical foundations in those young men so they may one day become outstanding citizens and assets of society.
There are many ways to give to Mount Carmel and many different giving programs to consider. Please refer to the information below for more detail on our fund raising efforts and giving programs.
Our Giving ProgramsAnnual Fund
- The Annual Fund serves two vital functions for Mount Carmel. It allows us to keep the best faculty and staff by providing competitive wages. It is also used to provide financial assistance to families who have run in to poor economic times during the school year.The Campaign for a New Century of Excellence
- The Campaign For a New Century of Excellence has already funded the construction of new science and technology labs (leading to enhanced course offerings) and the Cacciatore Athletic Center (which has enabled us to double the number of physical education credits offered to students). Phase Two will provide state-of-the-art facilities for music, fine arts education (through a new auditorium), and a technology-based Resource Center.Scholarships
- Mount Carmel is fortunate to provide numerous scholarships whose assistance to Mount Carmel students is outstanding. These scholarships enable Mount Carmel to bridge the gap between the number of families requesting assistance and the number of families assisted.Mount Carmel Educational Foundation
- The Mount Carmel Educational Foundation supports the charitable, religious, and educational purposes of Mount Carmel High School through grants, gifts, and aid. Approximately 5% of the Foundation's net worth is given to support Mount Carmel High School each year.
Other Ways to Give
One of the most attractive ways for you to help Mount Carmel is to make gifts of appreciated stock. It allows Mount Carmel to receive a larger gift and provides you with a tax benefit versus giving cash. If you own appreciated securities, you may gift these shares directly to Mount Carmel and avoid the capital gain tax you may have incurred if you had sold the shares and donated the proceeds.
Example 1: Gifting Stock Proceed Example 2: Gifting Stock
Purchased XYZ stock for $1,000 Purchased XYZ stock for $1000
Sell XYZ stock for $1,200 Gift XYZ stock directly for $1,200
Capital gains tax (assuming 15%) = $30
Resulting gift & tax deduction = $1,170 Resulting gift and tax deduction = $1,200
Gifting shares directly to the the school is simple, provides a tax benefit to you, and aids Mount Carmel in their mission. It is possible to transfer shares electronically from your account or to deposit physical stock certificates to fulfill your wishes in gifting appreciated securities.
Transferring publicly traded securities to Mount Carmel is simple. It is easiest if you contact your broker, inform them of the stock you wish to gift and give them the account information for Mount Carmel. They will complete the electronic transfer for you.
Our account is with Dan Hack, Senior VP - Wealth Management at Smith Barney.
Phone: 312.917.7538 Toll Free: 800.334.2446
Your gift will be valued on the date the transfer is completed. For your records, our legal name is Mt. Carmel High School and our tax-exempt federal identification number is 36-2171161.
PHYSICAL STOCK CERTIFICATES
Another means of maintaining holdings of stock is to take delivery of the stock (receive the stock certificate) when purchasing. To transfer stock when a physical certificate is held by the owner, a manual transfer must occur. These shares may be turned over to Mount Carmel by endorsing the certificate and completing a transfer of ownership form. To find out more information regarding this process, contact Dan Hack, Senior Vice President, Wealth Management, Smith Barney, or at email@example.com.
You may also donate to Mount Carmel through:
Charitable Remainder or Lead Trusts
- Life Insurance
- Real Estate
- Personal Property
- Assignment of Trust Income
- Gifts from an Estate of Trust
- Pooled Income Funds
- Retirement Assets
- Closely Held Securities
Mount Carmel can manage charitable gift annuities, deferred gift annuities, bequests and life insurance, as well as transferring assets of real and appreciated property.
With charitable gift annuities, payments to benefactors begin as soon as a gift is made, and donors receive immediate tax deductions.
With deferred gift annuities, the benefactor has flexibility in determining the start date of payments. For example, if the gift is made at age 40, the donor may choose the starting date of payments anytime between the ages of 55 and 80. Charitable deductions are available immediately.
Through a bequest, the benefactors names Mount Carmel High School as the remainder beneficiary of the estate, or makes a specific bequest to support one or more school programs, i.e. scholarships, endowment, building campaign.
Donating paid-up life insurance policies or paying premiums on a new policy that designates Mount Carmel as owner or beneficiary.
For more information on making a donation to Mount Carmel High School in the form of a stock transfer, electronic transfer, physical stock certificate, planned giving, or deferred gifts contact:
Senior Vice President - Wealth Management
Direct: 312.917.7538 Toll Free: firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct monetary gifts are accepted form of checks, charges, or money orders. Payments can be made to Mount Carmel High School. Please contact the Advancement Office for more information on giving or making a pledge.
Check with the human resources office at your place of employment for a matching gift form, and enclose it with your contribution.
In Memory or Honor of Someone Special
To make a donation on someone’s behalf, please contact the Advancement Office at Mount Carmel High School.
For more information on making a donation to Mount Carmel High School in the form of a direct gift, matching gift, or in memory or honor of someone please contact:
Vice President of Institutional Advancement
Mount Carmel High School
6410 S. Dante Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637
773.324.1020, ext. email@example.com